Short Answer Questions
Short Answer Questions
- Describe examples of your leadership experience in which you significantly influenced others, helped resolve disputes or contributed to group efforts over time. Consider responsibilities to initiatives taken in and out of school.
My leadership experience came when I was one of the officials of the Public Speaking Forum in high school. As one of the people leading the club, I had several responsibilities that revolved around planning and organizing club activities. My responsibilities also included chairing and regulating forums carried out within the context of the club. This position meant that I had to make significant contributions to the club, some of which forced me to sacrifice my free time. My position as one of the club’s leaders also meant that I had to influence the members and convince them to adopt certain policies or take certain courses of action. This was especially the case when the club was faced with a dilemma concerning future plans and activities.
- Describe any special interests and how you developed knowledge in these areas. Give examples of your creativity – the ability to see alternatives; take diverse perspectives; come up with many, varied or original ideas; or willingness to try new things.
One special interest that I have is creative writing. I have been writing since I was thirteen years old and I have always found creative writing to have a calming and therapeutic effect over me. I specifically write short stories that cover a range of themes such as life, love, death and alternate histories. It is always challenging to come up with a fresh idea for a story each time I sit down to write and I normally try to make sure that the characters, setting and events are all original. I grew my writing skills by reading avidly as a teenager. My passion for writing meant that reading soon became my favorite pastime and this helped me both academically and personally.
- Describe the most significant challenge you have faced and the steps you have taken to address this challenge. Include whether you turned to anyone in facing the challenge, the role the person played, and what you learned yourself.
The most significant challenge I have faced involved raising my GPA after it had dipped in my fist two years of high school. I fixed the situation by changing my study habits and spending more time in the library. I turned to my friend for help in the situation and she helped me by supporting me and being my study partner. After this challenge, I learned that it is very important to put as much effort as you can in my endeavors from the moment that I start.
- Explain what you have done to make your community a better place to live. Give examples of specific projects in which you have been involved.
To make my community a better place to live, I have participated in a number of community service projects aimed at improving the lives of the needy and the impoverished. These projects have ranged in nature from community cleaning activities, fun days with orphaned children and tutoring children living in shelters. One example of a community service project that I participated in was Utica College’s Heart Run that took place in New York on February 28.
- Describe your experiences facing or witnessing discrimination. Tell us how you responded and what you learned from these experiences and how they have prepared you to contribute to the UNLV community.
My experience with racism occurred when I witnessed a Muslim person being profiled by security agents when he was trying to board a flight in the JFK airport. The man was of Arabic descent and was trying to board a flight when a guard stopped him at the checkout and said that he could not board the plane while wearing a t-shirt that had Arabic print on it. The man protested and told the guard that the message was innocent and the he did not mean anybody any harm, but the guards would not relent. My response to the situation was wanting because I did not do anything. I stood there and watched as the guards subjected the man to unfair treatment. From this experience, I learned that it is important to take action when I see something bad happen. This will help me become a useful member of the UNLV community by people whenever they are in need.
- Articulate the goals you have established for yourself and your efforts to accomplish these. Give at least one specific example that demonstrates your work ethic/diligence.
One goal that I have set for myself is to graduate from college with at least a 3.7 GPA. This will make it easier for me to find employment after getting my degree and perhaps secure a scholarship for my postgraduate studies. To achieve this aim, I will have to manage the time that I spend in college very wisely. It will be important for me to concentrate on my studies as much as I can and avoid spending too much time on co curricular activities. I will also try to achieve my goal by putting in as much effort as I can in my studies right from the beginning.
Top-quality papers guaranteed
100% original papers
We sell only unique pieces of writing completed according to your demands.
We use security encryption to keep your personal data protected.
We can give your money back if something goes wrong with your order.
Enjoy the free features we offer to everyone
Get a free title page formatted according to the specifics of your particular style.
Request us to use APA, MLA, Harvard, Chicago, or any other style for your essay.
Don’t pay extra for a list of references that perfectly fits your academic needs.
24/7 support assistance
Ask us a question anytime you need to—we don’t charge extra for supporting you!
Calculate how much your essay costs
What we are popular for
- English 101
- Business Studies