Obesity and Eating Disorder
Obesity and Eating Disorder
- Summarize the psychobiological system approach to appetite and weight control
This provides for the evaluation of the systems that is made up of factors, which interact with on another towards the expression of body weight control and appetite. This includes the evaluation of various mechanisms, which are termed as critical in human biochemistry, physiology, nutrition, and behavior which are critical aspects for eating and subsequent control of weight.
- Discuss the basic biological system for regulating energy balance
It is assumed that weight is an outcome that arises from the imbalances between the energy of the food consumed and energy expended from the body for weight balance and execution of physical tasks.
- Explain the acquisition of food preference and eating patients in children- what is your understanding of genes and environment?
Research is indicative that food preferences of children are relative to the chances of them becoming obese in the future. Cultural affects of parents and more so their food preferences are usually taken up by their parents. Obesity is attributed to genetic and environmental factors. Genes also determine the possibility of incidences of obesity as well as issues such as diet and lack of physical activity. Behaviors attributed to the environment also contribute to incidences of obesity or prevention of the same amongst young children.
- Discuss in detail the risk factors for eating disorders?
- Psychological factors: research is indicative that eating disorders such as bulimia and anorexia are associated with personality traits, which may be evident before and after recovery from a disorder.
- Genetic vulnerabilities: research is indicative that genes play a critical role in eating disorders. Genes are associated with biological systems that are responsible for intake of food, metabolism, appetite, reward-pleasure systems, and mood.
- Socio-cultural factors: social and cultural factors play a profound role in the emergence of eating disorders. Ideologies that arise from society such as the obsession with thinness that are communicated through media influence such disorders amongst youthful populations.
- Provide a brief summary on the physiology of anorexia and bulimia nervosa
Anorexia nervosa: this is associated with both genetic predispositions and environmental, cultural, and social factors of an affected party. It is exhibited by voluntary restriction of consumption of food and weight gain.
Bulimia nervosa: similar to anorexia, this disorder is associated with genetic factors, environmental, and socio-cultural predisposition. It is associated with excessive consumption of food and subsequent compensatory behaviors.
- List 3 medical complications associated with anorexia and bulimia nervosa- signs and symptoms.
- Iron deficiency
- Weakened immune system
- Risk of infertility for both men and women
- Intestinal complications such as ulcers
- Inflammation of the digestive tract
- What does literature stipulate about anxiety and depression?
Research indicates that depression and anxiety are correlated to incidences of eating disorders. They may be brought about by psychological disorders, genes, environmental, and socio-cultural factors.
- What is the most successful treatment for patients diagnosed with an eating disorder and why?
Psychological counseling is deemed as the most effective means of addressing eating disorders and their respective symptoms. This is because it addresses the individual’s needs in terms of healthy living with food and the underlying psychological issues that bring about such disorders. Furthermore, it enables control of symptoms and relapse.
- Based on the research regarding obesity- what is the evidence on employment discrimination.
Obesity discrimination in modern work settings has grown in prevalence given that it is viewed as a form of disability. Morbid obesity is termed as a disability based on the Americans with Disabilities Act. It is understood that overweight individuals are highly disadvantaged in the modern workplace. This may bring about incidences of unfair treatment, dismissal, discriminatory practices, and degrading treatment against individuals who may be categorized as obese.
- Brief summary on the process of clinical assessments of patients with eating disorders
This involves weight ands body mass index calculations, blood chemistry, and ECG evaluations. This is followed by risks assessments using patient-family centered approach to evaluate the mental health of the patient.
- According to the research does dieting eating create eating disorders
Dieting is brought about by psychological issues such as low self-esteem, body dissatisfaction leading to extreme weight loss behaviors. Dieting has been termed as a source of eating disorders given that it induced by issues such as low self esteem and perfectionist attitudes for a –presumed ideal body or figure.
- Define the following terms:
- Dietary restraints and overeating
These are termed as effective predictors of food consumption. They are used for assessment and diagnosis of food consumption in bulimia and anorexia.
- Diagnostic criteria for anorexia nervosa
This is a conceptual model used to highlight the symptoms and eventual delivery of a diagnosis for anorexia nervosa. A party must fulfill all the identified conditions for effective or accurate diagnosis.
- Body image and body dysmorphic disorder
This refers to a mental condition whereby the affected party of overly obsessed with physical appearance and body attributes. It gives rise to emotional stress and is an impediment to productivity.
- Diagnostic criteria for bulimia nervosa
This is a conceptual model used to highlight the symptoms and eventual delivery of a diagnosis for bulimia nervosa. A patient must fulfill all the identified conditions for effective or accurate diagnosis.
- Binge eating disorder
This relates to bulimia nervosa whereby the affected party engages in excessive consumption of food for compensation of psychological problems.
Top-quality papers guaranteed
100% original papers
We sell only unique pieces of writing completed according to your demands.
We use security encryption to keep your personal data protected.
We can give your money back if something goes wrong with your order.
Enjoy the free features we offer to everyone
Get a free title page formatted according to the specifics of your particular style.
Request us to use APA, MLA, Harvard, Chicago, or any other style for your essay.
Don’t pay extra for a list of references that perfectly fits your academic needs.
24/7 support assistance
Ask us a question anytime you need to—we don’t charge extra for supporting you!
Calculate how much your essay costs
What we are popular for
- English 101
- Business Studies